What are the types of physical weathering?
There are two main types of physical weathering: Freeze-thaw occurs when water continually seeps into cracks, freezes and expands, eventually breaking the rock apart. Exfoliation occurs as cracks develop parallel to the land surface a consequence of the reduction in pressure during uplift and erosion.
What are the 7 types of physical weathering?
- Frost Wedging:
- Biological Activity/Root Wedging:
- Salt Crystal Growth:
- Thermal Expansion:
- Works Cited.
What are the 6 types of weathering?
Types of Mechanical Weathering
- Frost Wedging or Freeze-Thaw. ••• Water expands by 9 percent when it freezes into ice. …
- Crystal Formation or Salt Wedging. ••• Crystal formation cracks rock in a similar way. …
- Unloading and Exfoliation. ••• …
- Thermal Expansion and Contraction. ••• …
- Rock Abrasion. ••• …
- Gravitational Impact. •••