What to do if a tornado is near?
Go to the basement or take shelter in a small interior ground floor room such as a bathroom, closet or hallway. If you have no basement, protect yourself by taking shelter under a heavy table or desk. In all cases, stay away from windows, outside walls and doors.
What should you not do if a tornado is near?
Things to Avoid Doing During a Tornado
- Not taking tornado warnings seriously. There are tornado warning false alarms all of the time. …
- Look out the window. …
- Open the windows of your house. …
- Try to outrun a tornado. …
- Take cover underneath an overpass.
What should you do before a tornado?
- Water and canned or dried food – families should set aside one gallon of water per person per day, to last three days, and a three-day supply of food per person. …
- Battery powered radio.
- Extra batteries for the radio and flashlight.
- Prescription medications.
- First-aid kit.
What do you do in a tornado in an apartment?
Go to the lowest floor, small center room (like a bathroom or closet), under a stairwell, or in an interior hallway with no windows. Crouch as low as possible to the floor, facing down; and cover your head with your hands.
How can kids prepare for tornadoes?
Make sure you know which county or parish you live in. Prepare a disaster supplies kit for your home and car. Include a first aid kit, canned food and a can opener, bottled water, battery-operated radio, flashlight, protective clothing and written instructions on how to turn off electricity, gas, and water.
How do you tell if a tornado is coming towards you?
A sound a little like a waterfall or rushing air at first, then turning into a roar as it comes closer. If you see a tornado and it is not moving to the right or to the left relative to trees or power poles, it may be moving towards you. Tornados usually move from the southwest to northeast.
How can we reduce the impact of tornadoes?
Tornado mitigation strategies
- Meet building codes. …
- Install good windows. …
- Strengthen entry doors. …
- Install impact-resistant patio doors. …
- Install strong garage doors. …
- Stiffen double-wide doors. …
- Properly repair roofing. …
- Make an inventory of your possessions.
What do you put in a tornado bag?
Basic Disaster Supplies Kit
- Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert.
- First aid kit.
- Extra batteries.
- Whistle (to signal for help)