Why is it important to know weather safety?
The National Weather Service issues forecasts and warnings to help save lives. However, in order for these to be effective, people must know what to do for protection from these hazards. It is important to have a plan of action BEFORE the event strikes, so you will be well prepared when the time comes.
How do we prepare for the weather?
Prepare Your Home : Keep trees and branches trimmed near your house. If you have time before severe weather hits, secure loose objects, close windows and doors, and move any valuable objects inside or under a sturdy structure. Help Your Neighbor: Encourage your loved ones to prepare for severe thunderstorms.
How does the weather affect our daily activities?
Climate and weather strongly control what fruits and vegetables can grow. Another important aspect of weather that has a huge effect on our lives is extreme weather events, such as hurricanes, droughts, fires (forest fires), floods, heat waves, or cold snaps and winter storms.
How do you keep informed of the weather conditions and possible storms?
Where to get the best information about storms
- NOAA-compatible weather radios. NOAA is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. …
- The National Weather Service. Go to mobile.weather.gov, on desktop or a mobile device. …
- The Weather Channel. …
- Weather Underground. …
- Use Twitter to your advantage.
How can you protect yourself during different weather conditions?
Dressing for the weather
- Wear several layers of loose fitting, lightweight, warm clothing rather than one layer of heavy clothing. The outer garments should be tightly woven and water repellent.
- Wear mittens, which are warmer than gloves.
- Wear a hat. Cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs.